Diets are founded on one thing: caloric restriction to lose weight. There are four main problems with this approach:
1. Restriction implies punishment, which is negative and that only lasts so long.
2. It's not about weight loss, it's about body composition: losing the fat and getting lean. The scale is meaningless.
3. 99% of diets still incorporate refined easily digestible carbohydrates, (rice, whole grains, beans, pasta), which still generate cravings, disrupt digestion, offer marginal nutrition, and increase insulin production.
4. Diet books, articles, and magazines are written by people who have not studied Biochemistry*.
What Does Work
1) Stop counting calories! Two foods of equal caloric value have completely different effects once inside the body. Sugar and refined-carbohydrates instigate the rapid release Insulin while protein and fat do not.*
2) Get off the scale! It's not about weight, it's about losing fat and obtaining your optimal frame.
3) Realize just because it says gluten-free, low fat, or organic doesn't automatically mean it's healthy. Most foods that advertise as such are usually easily digestible carbohydrates.
4) Rice, potatoes, and pasta are low calorie but basically sugar.
5) Exercise in Intervals, not 30-60 minute cardios on machines.
6) Read these books
7) Fat doesn't make you fat! It is a fact that eating the right types of fat does not make you fat. In fact it is more satiating, long lasting, and is the body's preferred type of fuel. Read THIS
8) Follow this Ideal Exercise Program
9) Eat these sources of fat: Wild and grass-fed meats, avocado, wild salmon, coconut oil and milk, eggs.
10) Do not set a timeline. Obtaining an optimal frame takes a shift in body chemistry. Anyone can lose a few pounds in a short amount of time but it's short lived.
* Study of Biochemistry and Physiology is essential in order to understand the true ramifications of food after it is broken down and enters circulation. As an example, Insulin has many profound effects throughout the entire body yet most Nutritionists, Dietitians, and even Doctors explain only one of its mechanisms in evacuating blood sugar while ignoring the interplay is has with other substances. Other substances such as Ghrelin, Leptin, Glucagon, and LPL are all highly important to recognize and understand.