This pot of
caveman goodness is chocked full of lean beef and
veggies with a thick and rich broth, even a small bowl will
keep you satisfied for hours.
3# Grass Fed Beef, chuck (or half beef, half elk)
12oz center-cut bacon
1# carrots, sliced
2 large onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, smashed
2 cups beef broth
1 bottle red wine (Northern Rhone/Syrah is best)
1/2 cup whiskey (I prefer bourbon)
3 tbsn butter
1# mushrooms, remove stems, slice thin
3 tspn fresh Thyme, pull off leaves, chop up
Salt & Pepper
1. Cut bacon into small chunks, saute in 4 tspn olive oil for 10m
2. Remove bacon with slotted spoon leaving grease
Cut beef into cubes, coat in salt and pepper, sear in grease, in 3
separate batches, for 5m. Remove after sear, and set aside with bacon
4. Saute carrots and onions in 2 tspns olive oil for 12m
5. Add garlic and cook another 3m
6. Add whiskey and light with match.(Stand back, I singed my forearm the first time, hair the second!) Cook for 1m, cover to extinguish fire
7. Add Bacon and Beef back in
8. Add Thyme
9. Pour in 1/2 bottle of wine, drink the other half!
10. Add enough beef broth just to cover top of food
11. More Pepper & Salt
12. Bring to simmer, cover and cook for at least 2 hrs.
13. Saute mushrooms in butter butter for 5m, add to stew.
14. Simmer for at least an hour or more